Picking the fastest WordPress theme without using an index rank is hard.
Luckily there’s now a UI tool to visualize and compare themes by fastest loading speed time using Core Web Vitals data, provided by Chrome UX Report (CrUX) dataset and HTTP Archive technology.
The Core Web Vitals Technology report uses field data to get Core Web Vitals metrics and display the number of passing pages with “Good” CWV metrics per technology. Field data is the one used by Google in the ranking algorithm.
In comparison, when testing themes with a single run analysis in speed testing tools such as Gtmetrix, you will get synthetic data, which is just a set of conditions of device and connection settings that tries to simulate a real end-user.
Fastest WordPress themes rank
Here’s a leaderboard of the top WordPress themes ordered by Core Web Vitals performance on mobile as of April 2022:
|Theme||Origins (Eligible)||Good Core Web Vitals %|
Other themes are below the WordPress baseline, which is 28,7%.
An origin is a URL such as “https://example.com“, either HTTP or HTTPS, and optional subdomain(www.example.com). No trailing slash (/) or file path (/blog/example-path).
An eligible origin is if it has enough Core Web Vitals CRUx data. A good Core Web Vitals data is a page with a ‘Good’ metric within the 75th percentile of page loads, segmented across mobile and desktop devices, but in this case, we filtered by mobile metrics.
Kadence is a free theme with the following features:
- Header and Footer builder.
- Custom Layout: sidebars, full-width, etc.
- Global styling.
Kadence Pro Features
Kadence Pro functionalities are Header Addons, Hooked Elements(Hooks), Ultimate Menu, and Woocommerce Addons. Other Kadence features include:
- Drag & Drop option with 10+ elements
- Live Editing, and more.
- Templates library to bootstrap your website project.
Kadence is available with the following pricing options:
- Kadence Theme: Free
- Kadence Pro unlimited site(1y support): $59/year
- Kadence Theme Pro + Blocks + Pro templates: $129/year
- Kadence Theme Pro + Blocks + Pro templates + Cloud + Child theme + Shop Kit + AMP: $199/year
GeneratePress is a well-known theme of WordPress. Using the combination of GeneratePress Premium and the premium GenerateBlocks plugin, the possibilities for layout and styling are infinite.
The free GP version offers:
- Custom Layout: full-width or contained divs, etc.
GeneratePress Premium features
- Theme Builder: using GeneratePress Premium and GenerateBlocks plugin(free), you can visually build every aspect of your website.
- Site Library: a set of different templates to kickstart your site.
- Woocommerce options.
GeneratePress Premium also offers a library with a bunch of templates to kickstart your website layout. GP offers the following pricing options:
- GeneratePress theme: Free
- GeneratePress premium up to 500 websites(1y support): 59$/year
- GeneratePress premium up to 500 websites(lifetime support): $249
Blocksy is a Gutenberg-ready and lightweight theme. The Blocksy Free theme features include:
- Header builder.
- Footer builder.
- WooCommerce features: AJAX add-to cart button, advanced archive, and single product layouts.
- Trending and related posts module.
- Cookies notice and Woocommerce support.
Blocksy Pro features
- Content Blocks and Hooks: Create blocks and display them on a list of locations.
- Adobe & Google Fonts.
- Mega menu
- Conditional sidebars, headers, and footers. Show only when needed.
- WooCommerce features: Wishlist.
- Blocksy theme: Free
- Blocksy Pro 1 site license: $49/year
- Blocksy Pro unlimited sites: $99/year
Get your Core Web Vitals optimized