Do you think WordPress is slow and does want a better or a free alternative?
If so, you’re not alone. WordPress currently has lower Web and Core Web Vitals metrics compared with its competitors. Core Web Vitals is now a standard for Google in terms of page experience.
Because of its open-source nature, WordPress is open to any public, making it hard to compete with closed-source apps that have robust and professional technology stacks on all of their origins.
If you’re looking for a complete website builder solution including hosting, an eCommerce, or a content management system (CMS), take a look at the following list of the best WordPress alternatives ranked by Core Web Vitals.
Free vs Paid WordPress Alternatives
These WordPress alternatives currently offer a free plan on their pricing options:
- Ghost (free self-hosted)
With the following offering a free 14 days trial:
The Best WordPress Alternatives by Core Web Vitals Rank
The Core Web Vitals Technology report uses field data to get Core Web Vitals metrics and display the number of passing pages with “Good” CWV metrics per technology. Field data is the one used by Google in the ranking algorithm.
Core Web Vitals is now a standard for Google in terms of page experience. It applies to visual stability, loading, and interactivity experience. Alongside Mobile-friendly, HTTPS, and No intrusive interstitials, they form what Google calls Search Signals for Page Experience, which is to be used as a search ranking algorithm.
An origin is a URL such as “https://example.com“, either HTTP or HTTPS, and an optional subdomain(www.example.com). No trailing slash (/) or file path (/blog/example-path).
An eligible origin is if it has enough Core Web Vitals CRUx data. A good Core Web Vitals data is a page with a ‘Good’ metric within the 75th percentile of page loads, segmented across mobile and desktop devices, but in this case, we filtered by mobile metrics.
If you want to check other WordPress alternatives ranked by TTFB(Time to first byte) click here.
Shopify can be a Woocommerce or a WordPress eCommerce plugin alternative.
Shopify has its programming language for developers to build their themes, it’s called Liquid. The Shopify reference theme is called Dawn, built around performance, flexibility, and ease of use. It’s free for unlimited use, and you can see a demo of Dawn by clicking here.
Features on all plans:
- Shopify point of sale – Sell physical with the Shopify POS app.
- Gift cards & discounts code.
- Unlimited bandwidth and storage.
- Shopify Basic: $29/mo with 2,7% + $0.30 each sell with CC
- Shopify Medium: $79/mo with 2,6% + $0.30 each sell with CC
- Shopify Advanced: $299/mo with 2,4% + $0.30 each sell with CC
Duda is a website builder featuring team collaboration and client management. Duda offers websites with ready functions such as HTTPS Encryption, hosting, multi-language, and membership.
As for eCommerce, it offers add-ons per site with a starting price tag of $7.25/mo for 100 products and $39/mo for unlimited products.
Pricing (1-year plans)
- 1 site + limited library: $14/mo
- 1 site + unlimited library + 4 team collab + client manag./feedback: $22/mo
- 4 sites + unlimited library + 10 team collab + client manag./feedback + email domain + full site export: $33/mo
Webflow is a CMS and eCommerce alternative to WordPress that allows you to build websites without coding. It offers a free plan for starting up your project on the platform until you launch it as a custom domain. Webflow also has Workspace plans featuring team options.
- 1 site, 1GB/mo bandwidth, webflow.io domain: Free
- 1 site, 50GB/mo bandwidth, domain, no database: $12/mo
- 1 site, 200GB/mo bandwidth, domain, 2k items/database, 3 editors: $12/mo
- 1 site, 400GB/mo bandwidth, domain, 1k items/database, 10 editors: $36/mo
Squarespace is a novice-friendly platform that may require little to no learning to use all of its features.
Squarespace offers a selection of starter templates that will help you kickstart your project.
To build a website you use their block-based builder with drag-n-drop functionality. When building you have a free staging website to test and review any changes, before applying to the live website.
Squarespace ranks in the top 3 with the best TTFB amongst other platforms and ranks in  Core Web vitals Technology report.
- 1 site, unlimited/bandwidth, domain, 2/members: $14/mo
- 1 site ecomm, unlimited/bandwidth, domain, unlimited/members, custom email: $23/mo + 3% each sell
- 1 site ecomm, unlimited/bandwidth, domain, unlimited/members, custom email, POS app: $27/mo + 0% each sell
- 1 site ecomm, unlimited/bandwidth, domain, unlimited/members, custom email, POS app, advanced e-commerce options: $49/mo + 0% each sell
Open source alternative to WordPress. Can be installed on a Ubuntu server to self-host.
Ghost Pro offers creators plans including memberships, subscriptions, and newsletters. Takes 0% fees on these services, as it uses Stripe. Ghost Pro also has native SEO, CDN, domain, and free SSL.
Current plans are based on audience, with the following pricing(1 year-plans):
- 500/members audience, 1/staff, 1/newsletter, 1/membership: $9/mo
- 1000/members audience, 2/staff, 3/newsletter, 5/membership: $25/mo
- 1000/members audience, 5/staff, 10/newsletter, unlimited/membership: $50/mo
- 10k/members audience, unlimited/staff, unlimited/newsletter, unlimited/membership: $199/mo
Get your Core Web Vitals optimized