The project can be described as:
- Setup goals and preferences.
- Collect and analyze data to find issues.
- Applying optimizations at the level of the issues(backend, frontend).
What does having good Core Web Vitals net in SEO terms? Google says:
What does having good Core Web Vitals nets in User experience(UX) terms?
On Google’s blog, there are many case studies where improving the Core Web Vitals caused a gain in conversions and other user-experience metrics..
0 – Setup Client Preference
Focus on Chrome and ChromeMobile traffic. Where do your users who convert and give pageviews are from? Do you intend to serve non-converting users, or will 100% prioritize only converting users? Do you use ads?
*Non-customers with slow connections influence the CWV, as the metrics are global.
Define plugin loading preference
Do you want to delay the chat plugin, ads, or engagement plugins(can affect conversions) in favor of better speed?
1 – Collect and aggregate metrics
Depends on the decision above. Collect all URLs with their own data and origin(aggregate of all URLs).
Collect field data for ~2 weeks beforehand is essential to finding and detecting patterns, such as slow-loading users and page outliers. This makes the project more to qualified be successful.
Why do you need to collect and aggregate metrics?
Aggregating field data is necessary to identify either an issue within serving a country or a page being an outlier and making a negative impact on the Core Web Vitals.
Most of the current “Pagespeed optimization” projects focus on quick Lighthouse issues. They may last a week and won’t render any improvements at all. They are also more likely to worsen your user experience.
2 – Analyze & Diagnose
With data and metrics, analyze the possible issues to create a plan of action to address them.
Make a plan of action to address issues, and improve metrics.
Find out through the metrics if is possible to get green metrics. The way your theme loads its content can be the reason for bad CLS, and not possible to fix.
3 – Improvements
Set up a staging website to apply code, plugins, and theme improvements.
Compatibility: Your theme and plugins must have compatibility with the tools used. Due to technical limits, hosting, theme, and plugin changes may be needed to get green Core Web Vitals.
LCP and CLS Optimization or Consulting
The LCP optimization or consulting project makes the LCP element load earlier. The CLS optimization or consulting project reduces the cumulative layout shifts to be under the 0.1 seconds threshold. I cannot guarantee it will 100% pass due to external factors.
Both processes involve finding optimizations and making sure these optimization doesn’t interfere with the user experience.
4 – Impact and Monitoring (optional)
It takes at least 28 days to see the full impact on metrics from the day changes are applied.
Measure SEO and other metrics impact after the work(optional). Core Web Vitals have a direct net positive impact on conversion rates.
- Saintsandsinners: From 4.3 sec to green metrics on mobile/desktop.
- Medilexnc: Reduced to pass in LCP mobile.
- Confidential project #1: One of the largest independent country music artist websites. Had bad Core Web Vitals, now passes on desktop and mobile CWV metrics.
- Branded Bridge Line: We improved the Core Web Vitals for all pages and had 100% green metrics on Search Console.
- Flowxo: Improved its Core Web Vitals to pass all the 3 metrics(LCP, CLS, and FID) on most pages.
- Imortuary: Helped to solve CLS(Cumulative Layout Shift) issues and pass the metric.
- Leapfin: Reduced mobile LCP in 1 sec.
For a more or a full breakdown of case studies: wpalpha.io/case-studies/
How to hire / Payment
- You can hire me on Upwork. I will create a contract with custom demands. Currently only available for hourly projects and clients without an Upwork account. Upwork has full payment protection for clients.
- Fixed-price projects are paid on a 50/50 basis via Paypal, 50% paid upfront, and the rest upon project completion.
If you want a free quote, send an email to pedro at wpalpha.io